Angular is a platform that makes it easy to build applications with the web.
Angular combines declarative templates, dependency injection, end to end tooling, and integrated best practices to solve development challenges.
Angular empowers developers to build applications that live on the web, mobile, or the desktop
Angular JS 1.x
- AngularJS usually referred to as “Angular.js” or Angular 1.x
- It is mainly maintained by Google and by a community of individuals and corporations to address many of the challenges encountered in developing single-page applications.
- It aims to simplify both the development and the testing of applications by providing a framework for client-side model–view–controller (MVC) and model–view–viewmodel (MVVM) architectures, along with components commonly used in rich Internet applications.
- It was initially released in Oct 2010 (7 years ago).
- Current stable version is 1.6.10 (v1.7 is near to release)
Angular 2 is a complete rewrite from the same team that built AngularJS.
It is written entirely in TypeScript.
Angular 1.x was not built with mobile support in mind, where Angular 2 is mobile oriented.
Angular 3 was skipped.
Reason behind this is that version mismatch between @angular/core, @angular/compiler and @angular/router libraries.
To avoid this confusion they decided to skip the version 3 and release with version 4.0.0, so that every major dependency are on the right track.
- Angular 4 was released in March 2017.
- This release is backwards compatible with 2.x.x for most applications.
- Angular 4 is not a complete rewrite of Angular 2
- No need to write a pattern for email validation in Angular 4.
- TypeScript 2.1 and 2.2 compatibility: Finally We can use typescript 2.1 or more earlier only upto typescript 1.8 was supported.
Angular 5 was released in November 2017.
Build Optimizer : production builds created with the Angular CLI will now apply the build optimizer by default.
Angular Universal State Transfer API and DOM Support.
HttpClient : @angular/http is deprecated in Angular 5. It is replaced with @angular/common/http library.
Angular Forms adds updateOn Blur / Submit
New Router Lifecycle Events : GuardsCheckStart, ChildActivationStart, ActivationStart, GuardsCheckEnd, ResolveStart, ResolveEnd, ActivationEnd, ChildActivationEnd
Recently Angular 6.0.0 released. Angular 6 is released with Angular CLI 6 and Material 6.
Important Features of Angular 6 for performance improvement are
- Ivy Renderer
- Bazel Compiler
- Closure Compiler
- Component Dev Kit (CDK)
Important Angular 6 features with respect to the development purpose
- Typescript 2.7.x support
- Added Forms Features
- Router: Added navigationSource and restoredState to NavigationStart event.
- Optional generic type for ElementRef
About the Author:
Saravanan Nandhan is an open source SME in Claritaz with 3+ years of experience.